Aviation School of Excellence Logo

Civilian Aircraft Mechanic Experience

Obtaining a A & P license if you have civilian aircraft maintenance experience.


You will need a letter from the Airframe and Powerplant mechanic(s) that you have been working under. This letter should state, in detail, what aircraft and/or powerplants you have been working on, what tasks you have performed and how long you were doing these tasks. Remember, you may have multiple letters but they must total 30 months experience for both airframe and powerplant or 18 months for each.

(Sample Letter to the FAA)

The next step is to visit your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and present your aircraft experience documentation. The FAA will review your documentation and you will be required to fill two 8610-2 forms. You must have these forms with you when you arrive at our school.

See FAA FAR 65.77 for more details

We are happy to help.
Please call us if you have questions about obtaining your
A & P license with civilian aircraft maintenance experience.

For More Information Call

During normal business hours.

Please Click Here to Return To our Home Page

Page updated January 10, 2022